I have been distressed to find out from RBWM that the transfer of names to the new Electoral Role has proved so problematic that is likely to have a serious impact on how many people will be able to vote in the General Election in the Windsor Constituency on the 7th May 2015.
I understand that the transfer of voters to the Government’s new scheme has resulted in a reduction of at least 25% of the numbers entitled to vote in Windsor. That number may well get bigger as the staff sort through problematic entries within the remaining 75%.
Other Councils published their Electoral Registers in December but RBWM is finding it so problematic that it is not planning to do this until the end of January. I have no intention of criticising RBWM staff as they clearly have a very difficult job and they have suffered endless staff cuts. No, this sounds like mismanagement by Council Leaders.
Need I also point out that the people most likely to be disadvantaged by this ill-timed National exercise are lower paid or young people in temporary or rented acommodation: exactly the people who might vote to end the bedroom tax, vote to end zero hours contracts and vote Labour. So not at all surprising that a Conservative Prime Minister dreamed up this convenient shambles!
Worried readers can find a link to voter registration on the home page of my website www.fionadentlabour.com